Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Topic Entry #1

1-22-09

Communism

"Communism is the corruption of a dream of justice.” Adlai E. Stevenson



"Communism" Britanica online, http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/129104/communism

This is an indepth article that covers a lot of the history of communism. From Karl Marx initial ideals, to communist life today.

Communism is something I haven't had to deal with in my personal life, but many people that I know have lived through it. Through the art I've been doing the past year, interviewing and talking to immigrants from around the world, many of them have shared their stories and recollections of life in a communist country. Having to hide from the government, not being able to practice their own religion in public. Constantly living in fear. I think communism is something Americans always just hear about and don't really take the time to understand it.

No comments: