Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Topic Entry #6

2-26-09

Snapshot

“A good snapshot stops a moment from running away.” - Eudora Welty



Garrett, Craig; "Snapshot photography's subjective objectivity"; http://www.papercoffin.com/writing/articles/coerced.html

This article talks about the transition from modern art photography being very structured, technical, posed imagery to this snapshot aesthetic that captured very real moments without that structure. It talks about how this movement shows a very real, raw moments, often very voyueristic and sexual.

The snapshot aesthetic is something I used to hate when I first learned of it. I thought of it as an easy way out, to shoot without any technique or skills. However, the more I saw, the more I began to love it. Snapshot images are usually very intimate imagery, and though it is less technically sound, it is very raw and honest. I think this aesthetic works well with a subject matter like mine, studying a culture.

No comments: