Friday, October 10, 2008

Topic Entry # 5

Identity



“Identity is such a crucial affair that one shouldn't rush into it.” - David Quamman

"Immigration and American Identity" - Stephanie Condon, Generation next.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/generation-next/demographic/immigration_9-13.html

This article is very much what I have been interested in. Stephanie talks to a couple different immigrants living in America with completely different backgrounds about their life here and how it affects their identity. It seems as if its a constant struggle between having their original identity, and trying to fit into that of which America wants.


Everyone, I think, struggles with their own identity sometimes, if not all the time. I find the struggle to find one's own identity a path that each one of us goes through, and documenting/portraying that path in art is endlessly fascinating. With my projects on blending of cultures, a lot of my subjects all tell me of the same struggle. Finding out where they stand in life, American or immigrant.

No comments: