Friday, March 6, 2009

Topic Entry #7

3-5-09

Decisive Moment



"the decisive moment, it is the
simultaneous recognition, in a fraction
of a second, of the significance of an
event as well as the precise organization
of forms which gives that event
its proper expression." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Unknown Author, "Henri Cartier-Bresson", http://www.photo-seminars.com/Fame/bresson.htm

This article is written about one of the founders of the photography concept of the "decisive moment". It talks about Henri's approach to photography, the snap shots of street life, and trying to catch moments in life and preserve them. They show the beginning of an action, right in the middle of it, and when the subject usually has no idea what they are doing is of any importance at all.
I am working to be there to capture these decisive moments within my project. I'm trying to have my camera ready and with me at any and all outings to try to catch them. I want some of the images to carry that mood, where something is in the process of being done, an action is being carried out, or right about to be carried out.

No comments: