Friday, March 20, 2009

Topic Entry #9

3-19-09

Documentary

"I believe that documentary photography is a form of art... Somebody wrote that one of the most general explanations of art is that art is an expression of the human soul. That is exactly what documentary photography is. Otherwise it is not documentary." - Rob Hornstra




James Curtis, "Making Sense of Documentary Photography," History Matters: The U.S. Survey Course on the Web, http://historymatters.gmu.edu/mse/Photos/, June 2003.

This course really goes in depth into documentary photography. From the history, to how to analyze the photographs, to modern documentary photography. He talks about how photographs are used for history, and how people assume that they are reality. He fights for the viewpoint that photographs should not be simply illistrations, and accompany historical texts; but should rather be investigated as history themselves.

Documentary photography is the route I am taking with my images. I don't want distort the reality of my subjects at all. I'm very interested in catching moments without posing, and trying to capture what is the reality of these people.

No comments: