Thursday, April 2, 2009

Topic Entry #11

4-2-09

Intimate

"Passion is the quickest to develop, and the quickest to fade. Intimacy develops more slowly, and commitment more gradually still." Robert Sternberg



Crowe, Roewan "Luminous Gestures of Intimacy: The Photographs of Sarah Crawley"

In this article, Crowe critiques the intimate photographs of Sarah Crawley. In her work, she photographed images of herself and her lover in an abstract way. Part of her inspiration for this intimate work was thinking back on obsession and her childhood memories. She went home and told her lover all these stories, they then stayed up all night and shared stories with eachother. It was this that inspired her to portray that intimacy through her work.

I want my photographs to feel intimate, not in the sexual connotation of the word. I have a more intimate relationship with these people than do other non-immigrants do. I feel as though I started out an outsider, but over the last year have built a relationship of trust that I hope to portray through my imagery.

No comments: